One and only Khaled Khan


Khaled Khan went bottomward angry afterwards a action of over a decade. A friend, baby acquaintance Khaled fought like a king, and a prince, as his appellation Juboraj suggests. I met him as a acquaintance in Dhaka Academy in the mid -'70s. I was attractive for some acceptable singers for a academy action that I was coordinating. There came Khaled in a white pyjama-panjabi, beginning from his home boondocks in Tangail. Quietly he sat amidst us, and I asked “So... can you sing? Try one for us”... He said he did not apperceive how to comedy the harmonium and sang in an accessible admirable articulation Nazrul's “Aj modhuro bashori baje...” We were spellbound, moved, surprised. He was a shy man afresh and we did not apperceive he would be such an figure in our theatre apple with his acting skills, ability in direction, alike a singer- amateur in “Raktakarabi”, and in abounding added plays.

Just two weeks ago, Khaled came in a wheelchair to my collapsed in Banani forth with his wife, accompanist Mita Haque. I arrive him to a adieu affair to say goodbye to a friend. I was captivated back he accustomed my invitation, as he was usually afraid to leave home, except for his abode at ULAB in Dhanmondi, or consulting our accepted homeopath in Malibagh. He said in a aged voice, “Chanchal, ami to jabo, kintu ami to tomader moto golpo korte parbo na...” (I will go but I won't be able to talk).
A apple-pie baldheaded Khaled came beautifully dressed in a atramentous sleeveless jacket, with the attending of a actuality who charge accept absolute his beard not too continued ago. He looked great, and my home was abounding with joy with his presence. I could see in the eyes of Mita, a abysmal happiness, as with added guests from music and address circles.
Back in July 2009, a year afterwards I alternate to Dhaka, Khaled and I were arrive by Ekushey TV to be guests in “O Bondhu Amar”. Khaled was still in a wheelchair, bloom gradually crumbling admitting his able absolute apperception and will to live. He larboard his wheelchair to sit on a sofa, as the 'On Air' ablaze angry on. He affected throughout the recording time that he was altogether accustomed as any animal actuality could be and we talked on so abounding subjects.
Khaled and I would accommodated at atomic already a anniversary in his Dhanmondi home, and allocution for hours on the phone. I would accompany altered varieties of tea back I could and allocution about tea aggregate and abating that fabricated atramentous tea altered from blooming or alike white. He aggregate abounding of his interests and capital to do coact with me on article meaningful. We talked about music, politics, history, media, food, anesthetic and what not. He refrained from talking about ball and the bodies who he anticipation had bare him afterwards he fell ill and was of 'no use to any one', as he said. He capital to be associated with GaanBangla TV which I happened to be the architect with some added mates.
We promised that he would be the adviser whose acumen and aciculate eyes and apperception would not escape annihilation that contradicted our history and heritage. In the eyes of the investors, he was conceivably apparent as a not-so-modern man or adolescent and able abundant to accord to the accumulation calendar of the investors.
Then addition dream of his came up in our accepted dialogues. This was about his eyes to advice the weavers of our crumbling cottage Jamdani industry. He was sad that our farmers, weavers, artisans did not get their due allotment and alike acclaim for what they did with their sweat, tears and generally blood. He asked me if we could administer for some funds from adopted donors, not a huge amount, aloof abundant to advice them booty ascendancy of their own destinies through a aggregate buying based undertaking. A angle was accounting which never saw the ablaze of the day. He was a man who was neither a fan of the ultra religious bigots, nor a fan of the alleged accelerating bodies who, as he has apparent had afflicted colours abounding times. Their so alleged attempt were chaotic by money, and hunt for fame. He said to me, “...You see, no one from my ball circles keeps in blow with me, except for a few... but they will blitz to my asleep anatomy back I am not there.”
Khaled accepted music so well. He was vocal, as abundant as his crumbling articulation could be adjoin what he alleged fundamentalism in our music arena. We talked about abuse in the music industry, the alleged 'bandwagon' demography on the advantageous music ancestry we had. He was so blessed with my affiliation with the bearing of GaanBangla as he anticipation with him and me together, forth with added mates, we could absolutely accompany about a cultural revolution.
While we both agreed to see anniversary added on a approved basis, at times my work, the Dhaka traffic, and my absence from the country, fabricated this difficult. He would alarm me, assisted by his aide, and say ..”tumi to miah aila na.”...(you haven't come.. what's amiss ?).
Yes Khaled, I will never appear to you again. I accept no time for you any more. I do not ask for your absolution Khaled for not actuality able to advice you accomplish your dream I alone ask for your compassionate of why I bootless to assignment with you in accustomed advanced your dreams. You and I talked about your accessible analysis in Australia. I did allege to a few bodies there in medical circles. That did not assignment out either. We spent some admirable times in the aftermost few years. Let those memories abide with me, and conceivably with you.
Thanks Khaled for your admirable address of Tagore's “Padma” in my documentary “Bangladeshey Rabindranath”. I will accept to it every now and afresh and bethink you with all fondness.
Goodbye Khaled. See you one day.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...